African safaris again

Started Jan 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
Re: African safaris again
In reply to bill hansen, Jan 18, 2011

Our one safari experience was in Botswana - which I recommend incredibly highly - with a company who I think will also operate in the countries you are interested in: Wilderness Safaris.

The service from Wilderness was superb, the camps (I hesitate to use the word) very comfortable - and we were not staying in their more expensive ones - and safari guides very knowledgeable/enthusiastic.

Our trip covered three camps in 11 days - and I agree with others here that you need about 3 days per camp in order to make sure you're not being rushed through.

We stayed in two smaller camps (which had space for 12-14 guests) and one larger camp (at a guess heading towards 30 guests). We preferred the smaller ones. We were there with family, but noticed that when there were couples also staying, the camps tried hard to take them out in a Land Rover without having to join other groups - and we never had more than five people plus driver in our Land Rovers - which meant everyone had a "window" seat.

If you are prepared to consider Botswana, I cannot recommend Duba Plains or Kwetsani camps highly enough. We were bitten by the bug and are determined to go back one day....

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow