Started Jan 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ilu21
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
buying 60D as first DSLR
Jan 18, 2011

Hi all, I will be buying my first DSLR sometime this week and have decided on the 60D over the t2i because of the attractive swivel screen and faster fps rate that it shoots. This will be kind of long so bear with me.

I have a few questions regarding the camera and the accessories that a salesman tries to up-sell you.

I have been doing extensive research on the 60D with the 18-200mm IS lens and I came to a conclusion that I would buy from Abe's of Maine mainly because they're a very reputable seller and I have read some bad reviews on CameraKings and other sites.

Abe's has the 60D with the 18-200mm IS lens at (what I figure is a great price) $1329

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNEOS60D18200&id=CNEOS60D18200&&kbid=canon%2060d

One other reason I chose Abe's was because a friend of mine had bought a Nikon D7000 and told me they offer a 6 months no interest if paid in full deal with BillMeLater. More on that later.

So I decided to call Abe's and order the camera (I was prepared to say no to the upsell of accessories) and proceeded to order the camera. The Salesman, George, went into his usual pitch for an extra battery telling me the normal battery lasts only 30 mins. and tries to sell it to me for $79, I thought to myself that I had just read this before and my first question is;

Is he lying? Do I really need to get the extra 4 hr battery?

he then proceeded to try to sell me a memory card to which I told him I would be buying from eBay because they have the Transcend 32 gb class 10 for $50 (he was trying to sell me the 16gb class 10 for $50). He then tried to offer me a carrying case and UV filter and a 4 year warranty for $150 after everything...$1600 I thought about it for a while and he said he'd throw in another class 10 8gb for it and after much thought, I succumbed. I was thinking to myself, "man, I was prepared to spend $1300, not $1600" but the thought of the BillMeLater was great....until I found out the company/bank that runs that is basically a scam. Apparently I was too young to qualify (I'm 21 with a great credit..apparently they're looking for others with horrid credit)

What are your guys' thoughts on this guy trying to upsell me and the value of the accessories and the 4 yr warranty for $150 instead of $300? Thanks so much for your inputs.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow