Strobe on a boom, how to prevent slippage?

Started Jan 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gordon Freeman
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Strobe on a boom, how to prevent slippage?
Jan 18, 2011

A strobe mounted on a boom arm. Simple enough, right? The strobe attached to the boom on a regular stud (forget the size, whatever the standard size is). Strobe has a screw knob which prevents it from falling off the boom. Simple enough.

What's been irking me for months is: As a boom light, I often position it on top of, to the side above, and at various angles. To turn the strobe, I need to loosen the screw knob, turn the strobe, and re-tighten it. But as much as I tighten it, it often just starts to twist down, until the strobe is pointing straight down.

If the scenario isn't clear enough, picture this: strobe with a softbox, mounted on a boom arm horizontally, with the strobe/softbox turned to point horizontally. This creates a lot of imbalance of weight, and the strobe/softbox turns to point downward, as the only way it's secured to the boom arm is via a small screw knob.

Isn't there a slotted stud, or something that relies on more than tightening of a screw to keep it in its position?

Whatever thoughts you have, they're greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow