Started Jan 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,367Gear list
Like?
It’s time to say goodbye
Jan 16, 2011

It’s been a great ride with Minolta and Sony. I got back into photography after a fairly long break with the Minolta S404, then the A1, the KM 5D and then the A700. I have have fond memories of those cameras and the great results they gave. I tried the A55, but it is not for me. The viewfinder and autofocus just don’t work well enough in the situations I need them to work. I don’t know if it’s my sample of the CZ16-80 or some interaction with the SLT design, but I have seen increased CA and in areas I wouldn’t expect to see it, such low contrast areas in landscape photographs.

Sony has produced a great APS-C sensor in the 16MP, so its especially frustrating that they haven’t made the sensor available in an high end APS body. I would have been pretty happy if Sony had offered a sensor upgrade program e.g. the new 16MP in my A700 body for, say, $500.

From everything I have read, it appears Sony is moving aggressively to EVF, so I am switching brands to Nikon in the hope that I can find a stronger commitment to OVF with that brand. I am fortunate that I don’t have a huge investment in alpha mount glass, so switching brands is feasible for me. I did consider Sony FF, but switching to FF would be substantially more expensive and I just didn’t want the added weight of a FF system.
--
Richard B.
http://www.pbase.com/richard_b

Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow