Some early GH2 shots - including the dreaded JPEGs!

Started Jan 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
Some early GH2 shots - including the dreaded JPEGs!
Jan 15, 2011

Still in very early stages with the GH2 (perhaps a couple of hundred shots now) and still working out whether it's possible to get JPEGs that I like or whether I need to stick to RAW.

I'm very impressed with the image noise as you go up the ISO scale (which is odd, given that it's clearly there at base ISO if you pixel peep!) and dynamic range seems better than my GF1.

That said, noise reduction for the JPEGs is far too strong at default settings, unnecessarily so given that the noise in the RAW files is not that bad and is easy to clean up in post-processing.

I am still struggling to get JPEG colours that really please me. The standard setting lacks just a bit of "pop", the dynamic setting is too contrasty for my liking, and having experimented with the vivid setting (including turning down the saturation), I gave up because the reds came out very vibrant and almost orange.

I'm going to give it one more go with the standard setting, with saturation turned up and noise reduction turned down as far as it will go. And if that doesn't suit, then it'll have to be RAW from now on - not such a hardship, and what I've done until now with my previous cameras anyway.

Anyway, here are some of my early shots - I'm quite happy with them, especially the ones at higher ISO. In fact, it's clear that this camera comprehensively outperforms my Pentax K-7 on that dimension (although not in terms of colour and tonality).

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow