Started Jan 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PatrickP
Contributing MemberPosts: 712Gear list
Like?
after trying D7000, I doubt D800 video would help
Jan 15, 2011

For the longest amount of time, I've been thinking the only thing that's lacking on my D700 is video. Trying the D7000 video for a few minutes proved me wrong.

Trying the video mode on D7000 for a little while with the 16-35/4VR (supposedly a lens that works better with video AF) I wasn't really impressed. The 1080p resolution and the details are there. But keeping the image in focus was not easy. I was more trying to combat out of focus imagery then actually trying to shoot something. Stopping down to f/8 still doesn't entirely solve the issue.

If the hypothetical D700 successor (aka D800) come with same type of video AF, and given the thinner DOF of FX, I really doubt how useful can that be unless you tripot mount the camera and do precise MF. If you want to shoot it the hollywood style, great . Want to have a easy time shooting some home video with AF? good luck.

Another problem is ergo/weight. first the DSLR ergo is not for shooting video. Also can we really hand held a D700 + 16-35/24-120 (a 4 pounds combo) for 15 minutes in the video shooting position with one hand without feeling tired? how about doing it for a day on a trip?

In comparison, the panny GH1 I tried works like a charm. The AF is almost instantaneous. The form factor plus the swivel LCD plus the lesser weight make hand-holding it a lot more fun and doable. The 14-140 is basically the video capable version of the 18-200VR equivalent.

The good thing that came out of this is now I realize there's nothing lacking in my D700, iit's as good a still camera as it can be. The bad news is I probably have to dig into my pocket to buy a GH2 to shoot video. And hopefully I wouldn't be too addicted to it to a point that I buy the 100-300 and 7-14 soon afterward.

I sense something really wrong here. Panny earns some business from me and Nikon would prehaps lose some. Nikon better get their mirrorless out of their door soon.

PatrickP

PatrickP's gear list:PatrickP's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow