Shooting Videos: Lenses for Canon 5D Mark II

Started Jan 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
SorenDKBRH
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: Shooting Videos: Lenses for Canon 5D Mark II
In reply to filmmakernaveen, Jan 14, 2011

I have the 5D2 and the lenses 24-105, 50/1.4 and shoot video often at low light.

Your primary problem is your budget...You bougth one of the best DSLRs for video but cannot really enjoy since you really need a wide range of lenses for your type of work.

I mostly use the 50/1,4 at low light conditions and it is excellent the shallow DOF is a challenge though...Would I see a difference with 50/1.8 in videos - I doubt - but the build quality is better.

A music video at low light? What are your ideas for the video and thus the requirements? Wide angle 24 for whole scene shots? - close up on singer?- use of DOF?. I would recommend on a tight budget you get 50/1.4 and rent the others to get a feel for it. Or get a used 24-70/2.8.

Remember one thing - a great music video is not depended on the equipment alone but your creativity. Are you talented you may produce a spectacular video with just the 50/1.4 but. On the other hand if you are not - then it could be bad even though you had all the high lenses you have been recommneded.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow