anyone knows what the "shoot wo lens" option on GH2 is for? n/t

Started Jan 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ranger 9
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Re: anyone knows what the "shoot wo lens" option on GH2 is for? n/t
In reply to saghost, Jan 14, 2011

But there isn't a "locked lens" position. If you check my measurements from the previous post, you'll note that the lock lever protrudes less than the depth of the lens lock holes. That means the camera can't tell the difference between having a lens installed correctly, and having no lens installed at all from the lock lever position. (it could tell if a lens was half installed, if it were checking - which I'm pretty sure it isn't.)

Actually there IS some kind of switch built into the lens-mount lock mechanism. I discovered this during our previous thread about how to reset the focus area to the center position. When using a manual-focus lens via an adapter, you can re-center the focus frame by depressing the lens-lock pushbutton (you'd want to do this after moving the frame so you can use the manual focus assist for an off-center subject.)

This shows there must be some kind of switch built into the lock mechanism that signals its mechanical position -- either "fully latched" (lock pin all the way forward) or "not latched" (lock pin less than all the way forward.)

I believe this switch is one of the inputs that can trigger the warning -- if you've rotated a MFT lens far enough for the electronic contacts to line up, but not quite far enough for the pin to drop into. Its hole, you'll get the warning so you know there's a risk of twisting the lens off. This seems to be separate from the warning triggered if the electronic contacts are not lined up. Enabling the "shoot without lens" option disables both of them.

Note that so far, this observation applies only to the GH2; I haven't tried it yet on my other Gs.

Lots of hidden subtlety in these little cameras. Have you noticed how they sense "flash" even when you put a non-dedicate flash or a PocketWizard into the flash shoe?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow