Started Jan 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Boomanbb
Contributing MemberPosts: 696Gear list
Like?
60D from perspective of 5D mk1 owner
Jan 13, 2011

Before I say anything else... yes, the 7D is better than the 60D. For $500 dollars more, it should be.

I have wanted a crop body to compliment my 5D ever since I started shooting cheerleading events last year and I have wanted HD video even longer. After a few days with my new 60D it seemed like a good idea to compare it with a Canon classic, the original 5D.

Lighter weight. There is a significant difference in weight between these cameras and I for one really appreciate a lighter full size camera. In one day last year I shot 3200 frames on my 5D+grip+70-200 f2.8L and my wrist and forearm were sore for days! Being tall 6'3" and having large hands (9.25" from thumb to middle finger) makes the battery grip essential for comfort and security. The 60D is only slightly smaller than the 5D but much larger then the T2i.

Build quality. Yes, the 5D does feel more solid, which it is but I really dont want to feel the camera at all when I am shooting. As long as it doesnt creak when I squeeze...

Responsiveness. Wow, I had no idea how slow the 5D was until I fired off a few shots from the 60D. Shutter lag and mirror blackout are night and day better with the 60D. I do like the buttons better on the 5D, but I am getting used to the new layout. The menus are really different, but I figured them out without the manual and the Q button is more useful every day.

Image quality (jpg). I never liked jpg images from my 5D and basically only shot RAW. With the 60D, jpgs look a lot better. Not to mention high iso images on the 60D are much better than the original 5D.

auto ISO. This is one of the coolest features ever. If you have ever shot cheerleading events you know that the lighting can change dramatically from the floor to a flyer 15feet in the air. Now I can set my aperture and shutterspeed before hand and let the camera adjust the ISO when faced with fast changing lighting.

Overall feel. While outside one night with the 60D and 70-200 f2.8L non-IS shooting poorly light houses at 6400 ISO, I noticed the weird sensation of not really feeling the 60D. It was so lightweight compared to the big L that my hand felt like it was just hanging on to the lens. Later inspection of the images showed that I was getting reliably sharp images at any shutter speed above 1/30sec. With a non-IS lens @ 200mm I tell you! It was like the way I cradled the lens in my left hand left my right hand to only have to press the shutter release. Call it what you want, I can shoot my 70-200 at lower shutter speeds handheld when attached to the 60D.

Flip out screen. Awesome. When you reach the big 50, it is much easier to avoid crawling around on your knees by using a flip out screen, plus holding the camera close to your body at the waist makes for much more stable handheld video.

You can say that I really enjoy this camera and plan to make the best of it. I have no plans to get rid of the 5D, it is still great for going wide and shallow depth of field.

Ben

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow