Started Jan 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike_2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,635Gear list
Like?
We do have a choice: Sony DSLT or canikontax DSLR
Jan 13, 2011

We all know now exactly what Sony's plans are; full DSLT in the next few years. They might change tack if the A77 and nex7 bomb, but I think it will be the opposite reaction, and we'll have a DSLT line up from top to bottom in 2-3 years times, sooner in APS-C.

No one is being hoodwinked, no promises are being broken. Sony are not baiting and switching, in reality they are being very open and very honest, to the point that they will definitely lose some sales from hardcore OVF people quitting out. It's very open and responsible management; they've decided on a daring, innovative and risky strategy and have communicated it clearly. Very clearly indeed in the Weir interview on IR.

You can easily understand where they're coming from. Trying to please everyone and keep a double line of DSLR and DSLT technology and cameras would be beyond any manufacturer now. If the production right now was all A55 and A33 there would be no problem with supply.

We, as now fully-informed sony users, have the choice to move away from sony's DSLT future, either partially or totally, or to stick with it and trust them to do a good job. This is a very clear and unambiguous choice. Some people clearly don't like choice after all, it seems...

It is perfectly useless to be complaining about the clear direction sony are taking. They have unambiguously and responsibly explained what they are doing, why and even a pretty good idea of the time scale. Each of us has to simply decide which camera manufacturer will best serve them in the future, and act accordingly.

Personally I was cautiously optimistic before, and after these recent comments I feel quite confident that sony have finally found their feet in the PDAF camera market. They seem to be fully committed to taking the DSLT v1.0 and making v2.0, v3.0 etc., with ever-improving technology. This approach will allow them to fully utilise the coming developments in EVFs, main sensor PDAF, global shutters etc., and allow them to realistically be no.1 in advanced cameras in 5-10 years time. It might sound crazy now, but if they can ride the technology wave while canikon religiously stick to 80's tech they will have a massive competitive advantage before long. So I am sticking with Sony. How about you?

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow