My first studio shoot - Judge me!!!

Started Dec 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 5,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you all for your time and answere!!!
In reply to BaiaZ, Jan 13, 2011

I hope you don't mind if I do a little update to my earlier post.

I suggested setting the background to 1 stop over the camera exposure.

Even that much can cause some light from the background to start wrapping around the back edges of the model, causing a sort of halo look and the loss of contrast in those regions.

If you get your exposure right you can get by with only 1/5 stop greater exposure for the background than for your subject.

How do you get your exposure right you ask? I'm glad you asked that.

Now that you have a flash meter - calibrate it and use it correctly. You can't beat Will Crockett on this subject.

If you haven't already done it, join SmartShooter.com (free registration) and then check out Will Crockett's smArticle on how to calibrate your flash meter for portrait work.

http://www.shootsmarter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=116&acat=16

As to how to use it, get a copy of the video, "Digital Exposure Control for Photographers and Videographers" by Will Crockett. Your manual will also tell you how to use it - point it at the camera lens, not at the lights (except for hair/rim/kicker lights).

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow