Started Jan 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BHPhotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 778Gear list
Like?
The eternal body/lens question
Jan 11, 2011

With about $1000 to spend replacing my drowned K20, my budget won't stretch to the very best lenses/body combination (perhaps the K-5 with the DA-35 macro?), so I'm trying to choose between less expensive body + better prime with the K-X and DA-40 Ltd., or the better body + kit lens of the K-7 with the 18-55WR. The cost is about the same give or take a bit.

I'm asking basically the same question on the Nikon forum about the D90/D5000 vs D3100 (I've excluded the Olympus and Canon lines for a variety of reasons, and I've tried the micro 4/3 and found them wanting). But this is only for input comparing within the Pentax brand.

The K-7 feels much better in-hand, is better built, sealed and has the external controls I had on K20, plus the very important pentaprism VF and larger LCD for old guy eyes, but it would eat the budget; the K-x would let me get the excellent prime and remarkable high ISO ability (keeping the 18-55 for bad weather shooting). I'm really buying into this body/lens package for the foreseeable future, so as nice as down-the-road additional lenses, etc capabilities, is less important than today's out-of-the box use.

I suppose my top priority is IQ and the kind of contrast/resolution/acutance I like to see in b&w images. I'd use it mostly for urban b&w, no sports mostly static street scenes, occasional candid portraits and still life. Not interested in video, so that's not an issue. Additionally, the vast majority of my shots are in the 24-40mm range, so either lens would cover my needs.

It comes down to if you had that budget (independent of the cost up to the budget ceiling) and would be using this body/kit lens combination for at least a year or more before upgrading, what is your recommended best package?
Brian

BHPhotog's gear list:BHPhotog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow