Did I make a mistake investing into the NX10 over a high end compact?

Started Jan 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
Did I make a mistake investing into the NX10 over a high end compact?
Jan 11, 2011

If you don't want to read much, skip down to the questions (the stuff before it is just background info)

I recently purchased an NX10 with the kit lens and the pancake lens. Whi1le I do love it, I am wondering if I made a mistake over buying a high end compact.

One of the reasons why I bought the NX10 was because it is the slimmest mirrorless camera with both a viewfinder and an APS-C sized sensor. Plus, it offers great controls over my photos, and with a pancake lens, I can put it in my jacket pocket.

However, am I wondering now if I was overestimating my photographic interest. I am a junior in high school, and I do have a big interest in photography. However, I am wondering if a high end compact (I was upgrading from my Panasonic TZ5) would be better considering the convenience factors, particularly no lens swapping and even greater portability. Because I am in high school, I only have so much money to invest in photographic equipment...so choices in what I buy are very important...

I guess my biggest questions are:

1. Is it natural to be put off by lens changing? Is it something that takes time to get used to? I don't mind it too much, but a flexible lens is definitely something I miss from my point and shoot

2. I feel like there isn't much point of a mirrorless system unless it has a pancake lens attached to it, because otherwise you might as well use a full-strength DSLR since any lens besides a pancake makes the camera big and unpocketable anyway. Did I make a mistake buying a mirrorless instead of a DSLR in regards to this view?

3. When using a pancake lens, how do you compensate for a fixed focal length? I hear that it makes you think about the composition more, and while I found that true, it still didn't seem enough to choose a pancake over a flexible zoom lens. And in regards to question two, doesn't that kind of destroy the point of a mirrorless system?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow