Started Jan 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,396Gear list
Like?
***Challenge #114 - Stars & Moon Landscapes & Cityscapes***
Jan 10, 2011

The subject for the challenge will push some of you and will most likely need at least good ISO800 performance if you’re going for the “stars” portion of the challenge. My goal is to see actual landscapes or cityscapes with either the moon, the stars or a combo of both.

My only requirement is no star-trails. More what the human eye sees. This will require shutter speeds closer to 30 – 45 seconds and faster. ISO 800 or higher, Apertures of f/4 and faster. Juggling those 3 arenas to get your best effect. These can be past pictures if need be. You do not have to shoot the picture shared during the contest period.

My only restrictions are.

1. No star trails. The goal is land & city scapes as the eye sees it.

2. There has to be some landscape composition in the shot. Trees, cities, bridges, mountains, whatever you like just no empty sky shots unless you’re one of those telescope shooters that shoot a composition out of a galaxy.

That’s it. You can post process as you like. Me, I often take a separate shot of the moon with a longer lens and try to copy it back in the wider shot at the size my eye saw it.

Here are some examples I have shot to hopefully give you an idea.

Please treat this challenge as a contest and submit your BEST work. As always, please share EXIF (camera, settings...etc) information in your entry so others can see how it was exposed.

The challenge will end at the end of Friday, January 21, 2011. (11:59 PM PST)

Don't forget - Please reply to the FIRST (ORIGINAL) post if you are submitting an entry and RENAME THE SUBJECT TO INDICATE THE TITLE OF YOUR ENTRY.

R U L E S:

The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going. You post ONE image (if you post more than one image, the first will be your entry in the challenge). The host chooses a winner after closing. The decision of the judge (the Host) is final. The judge is not eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 72 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours. ANY NIKON CAMERA IS ALLOWED.

Feel free to comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you a piece of constructive criticism, put a (CC) next to the title of your image [e.g. Sunset with Canada Geese (CC)].

Please embed your image in the thread. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (800 pixels on the longest side works best.)

Thanks to all and good luck!!

REMEMBER TO REPLY TO THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD! Not in-between but the FIRST.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
~ Ernst Haas

We are officially live!!!!
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
Old Web Site
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow