A New TV?

Started Jan 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,905Gear list
Like?
Re: A New TV?
In reply to Lyle Aldridge, Jan 10, 2011

However, the internet functions built into TV's are not very well protected. Be careful what information you give out across those connections, because they are not very secure.

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

Ray Maines wrote:

Forty six inches seems to be about the right size for my living room, and I don't foresee myself getting all crazy with internet access, 3D, or any other esoteric features.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray, I predict you WILL want net access before long. The amount of content that can be streamed to your big screen is already mind-boggling, and expanding rapidly. Of course, you can add this function later with a set-top box or blue-ray player, but if I were buying a new set today, it's no longer something I'd regard as superfluous.

I was essentially ignorant of this technology until one of our kids gave my wife a Roku box just recently. Now, about a third of what we watch is coming off the internet, and it's increasing to the point where we're considering canceling our satellite TV (there is no cable in our locale). This despite the fact that our net access is barely broadband. It's not just a few movies any more. This fall, for instance, the small college where I went to school had every home game available on the net.

-- hide signature --

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
“Showing off is the fool’s idea of glory.”

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow