Started Jan 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rational
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
Lament
Jan 10, 2011

I find it amusing how successful the digital camera makers have been in conditioning buyers to expect (and pay big money for) new models every year or two. By contrast, a Nikon F2 or a Leica in years past would be kept and used for a decade or more.

For decades, during the film era, top-notch photographs were taken with relatively simple cameras. Slide films' limited exposure latitude was very unforgiving of ineptitude, yet competent photographers did some spectacular work with it.

Now that every Tom, Dick and Harry can take photographs that are technically passable (and, if not, fix them with Photoshop after the fact), everyone is clamoring for more features that are rarely used by most users, such as ultra-high ISO, more frames/sec, in-camera HDR, and on and on.

As for the proof of the pie being in the eating, i.e. photographs that compare with the masterpieces of the film days, it is not clear that they exist.

Indeed, I suspect that if a typical owner of an upscale digital camera today were to be given a semi-manual film camera (like a Minolta SRT-101) and a roll of Kodachrome 25 (rest in peace), the results would be abysmally bad.

Hats off to the marketing geniuses employed by digital camera manufacturers for having created and elevated the demand for their pricey products to all time highs.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow