All this talk of bokeh here is something for you.

Started Jan 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aperaturewise
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?
All this talk of bokeh here is something for you.
Jan 10, 2011

Hello. There has been a lot of talk regarding the bokeh produced by the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II

5D II/tripod/LV 10X Focus set to the eyes of the rear angel/MLU/10s self timer.
not scientific
Sharpness setting 3 contrast setting -2
Shot under halogen light
Both equally WB'd in DPP

Note: In the original images there is a specular highlight that has been cropped out, do to the aperture being stopped down on the prime.
for fun cross your eyes on these images to merge for a slight 3D effect.

When going head to head with the "bokeh King" the EF 85mm f1.2L II @ f2.8, which image pleases you the most in regards to bokeh?

Also can you tell which photo was taken by which lens? If there is enough interest, I will reveal what lens took what in a couple days.

My own opinion regarding these 2 images is, that both are equally pleasing in regards to bokeh. I do not see the "nervousness" as described by others.

I love both lenses but the zoom can not be shot at f1.2

Feel free to comment on issues regarding contrast and sharpness.

Some people believe (and people are entitled to their opinions :))

that when the 70-200mm f2.8L IS is stopped down to f4, it magically transformes into a lens that is on par with all 70-200mm lenses produced after it, including the current EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 70-200 mm f4L IS and the awesome Nikon 70-200mm (vrI & vrII lenses). I don't fall for that at all. I feel that these people with the version I are simply in denial. They will fabricate issues, currently its "bokeh" and the fabled "it only has a problem at 200mm @ f2.8" to justify not upgrading. They say every focal length below 200mm is on par with other 70-200mm lenses. I have looked at lens test comparisons of II vs. I. I do see differences believe it or not.
With extenders, there are major differences!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=1&LensComp=103&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=0

The version I was an ok lens but it certainly does not come close to the IQ of 70-200 mm lenses produced after it. IHMO

I really liked my EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM, until I got my 300mm f2.8L IS. The 70-200mm was a mess compared to that lens! It laid in its lens case and stayed there. Once in awhile I'd take the little guy out for a mercy shoot simply because I felt sorry for it. (weird lol). When I upgraded to the version II and viewed its first images on my screen I experienced the same and I kid you not, jaw dropping response I got when I viewed the first images from my 300mm. The 70-200 II is so close to prime lens quality it has to be seen to be appreciated! Now my new 70-200 II goes every where I go except to bed with me lol. It has never seen the inside of its lens case!

The 70-200mm II takes extenders amazingly well!
Here is a shot with a 1.4 Extender II No Sharpening applied.

I can not speak for the EF 70-200mm f4L IS but I can certainly speak for the IQ of the Nikon 70-200mm vr II (which my brother owns), I can not tell any differences between that lens and mine.

If possible, I'd like to see bokeh comparisons from the EF 135mm f2L, EF 200mm f 2.8L @ f2.8 verses the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II Try and do a what lens took what shot to make it interesting
Regards

BTW If you are happy with version I, I'm happy for you and I will not argue. I'll let others do that lol

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
So?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow