Started Jan 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frugivore
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Roadmap from amateur to professional photographer
Jan 10, 2011

Forgive me if this topic comes up often. I'm sure it does.

Look, I've caught this photography bug pretty bad. I am currently employed full time in a different field but have made a decision to practice photography professionally. I intend to continue the self-study that I've been doing in the coming year and practice a lot more. I have already started learning about the aspects of a business not related to photography, such as its organization, bookkeeping, marketing, etc., planning to start with a simple portrait studio and then evolving into the more demanding branches of photography.

I am thinking that the best approach is to first buy all the equipment that I will need and practice at home, then move the equipment into the studio when ready. I should probably register the business first and buy the equipment, so that any depreciation will count as an expense. I was also considering doing a lot of advertising before I switch to photography full time since this expense can counteract my income from my current job in 2011.

Now, I still have a long way to go but I do have knowledgeable people that I can consult - lawyer, accountant, pro photogs. But what I'm looking for from you is your experiences in this type of endeavor. Have you become a photographer professionally through self-study, practicing at home? Have you moved from a full time job into full time photography? What information did you wish you had before you became a pro?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow