Started Jan 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frugivore
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Roadmap from amateur to professional photographer
Jan 10, 2011

Forgive me if this topic comes up often. I'm sure it does.

Look, I've caught this photography bug pretty bad. I am currently employed full time in a different field but have made a decision to practice photography professionally. I intend to continue the self-study that I've been doing in the coming year and practice a lot more. I have already started learning about the aspects of a business not related to photography, such as its organization, bookkeeping, marketing, etc., planning to start with a simple portrait studio and then evolving into the more demanding branches of photography.

I am thinking that the best approach is to first buy all the equipment that I will need and practice at home, then move the equipment into the studio when ready. I should probably register the business first and buy the equipment, so that any depreciation will count as an expense. I was also considering doing a lot of advertising before I switch to photography full time since this expense can counteract my income from my current job in 2011.

Now, I still have a long way to go but I do have knowledgeable people that I can consult - lawyer, accountant, pro photogs. But what I'm looking for from you is your experiences in this type of endeavor. Have you become a photographer professionally through self-study, practicing at home? Have you moved from a full time job into full time photography? What information did you wish you had before you became a pro?

frugivore's gear list:frugivore's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow