Started Jan 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
newpentaxfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 641
Like?
My 5DI was a dust magnet. Is yours?
Jan 9, 2011

I'm currently without a DSLR or lenses (long story), and am getting ready to buy a system. I'm trying to decide between a used 5DI & 5DII. I previously owned a 5DI and was happy with it in every way except for what a dust magnet was.

I know others complain about this, but I'm beginning to wonder if my 5DI wasn't especially bad in this regard. It would seemingly get dust on the sensor after every lens change, even indoors. I literally had to clean it every week. What's more, the viewfinder would get a lot of crud in it and I had to get it professionally cleaned quite often.

In terms of features, the 5DI is enough for me. The only reason I'm considering the 5DII is because of the dust reduction. It seems silly to pay $1,000 more for that, but of course I'll benefit from more MP, auto-ISO, video, etc. along with it.

Still, if I knew that my 5DI was worse than average in terms of dust, and I thought I could pick one up that wasn't so bad, I think I'd go with a 5DI.

So, how much of a dust magnet is yours? Was mine unusual in that regard? Or typical?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow