Started Jan 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Achieving a certain style with Photoshop...advice please
Jan 8, 2011

One photograph that I have always been captivated by is the album cover shot for Pink Floyds's album "Animals".

I have been trying to achieve a similar quality through Photoshop to my landscape and cityscape images but my attempts have been embarassingly poor.

Of course the first thing I notice about the shot is its high contrast and what appears to be somewhat oversaturated colours. But upping contrast and saturation to my own images doesn't even come close to that achieving the almost artificial and sculpted look that the image has.

Clipping levels at the dark end gives strong blacks but doesn't seem to help with the surfaces and texture of buildings or paintwork.

Playing with Shadow/Highlight seemed the opposite of what would be required: HDR techniques seem to give the strong colours but of course do the opposite of what I want to the overall contrast.

I've seen similar styles in in other images with completely different lighting so I'm convinced it isn't critical to have a single light source from a certain angle when taking the original shot.

Could anyone offer any advice on which combination of Photoshop settings I should be working with in order to achieve this effect?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow