Started Jan 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444
Like?
Don't understand the video fascination here
Jan 7, 2011

Please understand I'm not bashing; I have nothing against those who worry about the video capabilities of their cams. Obviously the market says there are lots of you out there.

What I don't understand is the obsession with HQ video. I take video too sometimes--birthday parties, some travel, etc. And while I enjoy taking video, the intended audience is always my family and friends, who will see the video ONCE. This is not high art.

I mean, what would I do with 'serious' video? How would I display it? Run it on a continuous loop on a digital screen, like in a museum or something? Publish it on youtube?

Pictures, on the other hand, are often more 'serious'. Sure I take snapshots like everyone else, but I also take 'artistic' pictures, some of which I hope will end up on my wall. I print the very best of my pictures up to 11x13 (maybe larger someday!) and look at them frequently. This is the primary reason I have a m43 camera system instead of a P&S. I find it hard to believe that this doesn't describe the majority of m43 users, but I may be wrong.

Put in another way, I fancy myself a 'serious photographer' but hardly a 'serious videographer'. And if I ever decided to become a serious videographer I would probably go out and buy a dedicated video rig, not try to make do with a hybrid system like m43.

So for you video buffs out there--why do you value HQ video? What do you do with it?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow