7D Video Right for Action Sports/Basketball?

Started Jan 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Fanjoy
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
7D Video Right for Action Sports/Basketball?
Jan 6, 2011

I am having the most difficult time getting my new 7D to hold detail when recording video of my Kid's basketball games. When they are walking around, it is a phenomenal picture. When they run around, I lose all their face detail.

I've read a lot of articles about the manual focus (I have no issues with that). The issue is fast movement not holding the image, ghosting, blurring.

I still have my Mark III and can trade this 7D in for something like the new Sony NEX-VG10, or any other recommended video camera.

Question: Am I realizing what everyone else already knows, that the 7D produces amazing video quality, but is just not the right choice for fast-action, low light sports shooting? And that I should find a good, higher bit rate, and easier focus traditional video camera for shooting basketball?

Or should I dig my heels in and learn more, and test shutter settings, etc. and discover it will indeed clean up and shoot good action detail?

-- hide signature --

Wherever I am, I'm lost!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow