Started Jan 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dark Fader
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
What's up with Amazon?
Jan 6, 2011

Yesterday, I got an email from Amazon indicating that UPS was unable to deliver my next day order because nobody was available for signing at the shipping address. Went to Amazon to investigate and see that an order for a Nikon D90 was indeed placed and shipped using my account.

On checking the order and invoice details, I see that the name, shipping and billing addresses all belong to someone else. Further investigation revealed that the payment method used was an AmEx card I know nothing about. This is not the first time something like this has happened to me at Amazon so I never leave a valid payment method in my account for any length of time.

After calling them, the Rep surmised that someone used my password to gain access to my account and placed the order using the AmEx card. Even if this makes sense, my concern is with their process for allowing the order to be shipped. Apparently, all is well if name, shipping and billing addresses match the payment method used at the time of placing the order. I'm almost certain that a mismatch between account and payment method info would have raised a red flag at just about every other online shop I've used.

Ah well, the most I could do was delete the AmEx payment method and change my password. Also, printed the order and invoice just in case there is some official investigation later on. The order in question still remains associated with my account when last I checked.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow