Started Jan 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhillipA
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,505
Like?
First look at the UW and Fisheye converters
Jan 6, 2011

I posted this in a reply on another thread, but thought others might be interested:

The Sony "Ultra-Wide" and "Fisheye" converters for the 16mm prime arrived today and I had a quick play with them this afternoon.

I'm afraid I was a little underwhelmed by the results at first look. While the centres are sharp in all cases, the edges and corners deteriorate rapidly.

On further investigation, it seems that the underlying problem with the 16mm prime itself. I've only taken a few snapshots with it and the 18-55 zoom since having the camera, instead mostly using Contax G or Olympus Pen-F legacy primes.

When I tried the bare 16mm today, I was most disappointed with the quality away from the centre at all apertures.

I have seen some good shots around from this lens, so I have to assume I've got a lemon. It also seems to be a bit softer on the RH side than the left

I had hoped to use the NEX and converter for the wide end, in conjunction with a Canon 550D and the new version of the Tamron 18-270VC for everything else, on an upcoming trip to Italy, France and England. I now have to decide whether to buy another 550D body and use it with the excellent Tokina 11-16 f2.8 that I have, or spend about the same amount of money and buy a Voigtlander 12mm Ultra-Wide Heliar to give me the width and IQ I want on the NEX.

I'll be going shooting tomorrow with a friend that has the Samyang/Pro-Optic 8mm fisheye for his Canons, so I will try for some comparison shots, though I don't like the prospects for the Sony

-- hide signature --

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow