ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GHB
GHB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,309Gear list
Like?
Should I return this lens?
Jan 6, 2011

Having the Zuiko 14-54II, I found myself in want of the option to shoot a bit wider. Debated between adding the 9-18 or just getting the 12-60. Decided to try the 12-60, hoping to be satisfied with just one lens. (And then there's all that other 14-54 vs. 12-60 stuff. Let's not go there.)

Curious as to how much difference there is in real-world images, I was looking at some decidedly unscientific comparison shots between the 14-54 and 12-60 when I noticed significant blurring in the right side of the 12-60 images at mid focal length when compared to the 14-54. The left side is fine.

The lens is still in the return/exchange window, so I'm wondering what your advice would be. Are these results within norms, or should I exchange it? Thanks for any feedback.

Following is the original, resized. F4, 23mm, flash, tripod mounted with 2-sec delay and 2-sec anti-shock. Manual focus on the net of the dream-catcher hanging from the light fixture in center.

Here is a 100% crop of the cabinet handle on the left, a bit OOF since the cabinet handles are closer to the camera than the focus point.

This is the right side:

Stopping down does improve things, but the right side is always less sharp than the left.

It's getting late, so I'll check back in the morning for any replies, which will be much appreciated.

Strange, I do not have a preview with images below as I type this post, as I normally do. Just a one-line window with nothing in it. Hope I got the images in the right sequence.

Edit: I'm not seeing images in the post. Imageshack direct links have always worked for me in the past. Hmmmm...

-- hide signature --

George

GHB's gear list:GHB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus PEN E-P5 +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow