FinePix X100

Started Sep 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
Jorge Alban
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
Re: My issues with the FinePix X100
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 6, 2011

Few lenses stay sharp wide open, most notably "short telephotos" such as my EF 100mm F2 (or moderate wideangle in rangefinders). Wideangles in DSLRS are really inverted telephotos and the manufacturers struggle to keep them sharp in the corners. Canons 35mm 1.4 L and 24mm 1.4 mkii are about as good as it gets (and each costs by itself more than the whole X100 will). I agree it is next to impossible to find a DSLR F2 lens under 24mm that doesnt compromise greatly on local contrast, chromatic aberrations and corner sharpness wide open

I think Fujifilm is onto something here with their marrying of that 23mm lens to the X100 sensor. If tests prove it stays sharp and contrasty in the center, even if corners go down a bit, I will consider myself satisfied and get the X100. Dynamic Range and color reproduction are Fujifilms forte and should be no concern. However, low light AF is another issue and in my opinion should not be compromised in a fixed focal camera that will often be used, leica M style, for people and candids under available light.

A 20th of december interview in a spanish webpage with a FujiFilm engineer revealed the X100 team is considering developing a technology that will include both the hybrid focusing systemn of the new FinePix F300EXR and the phase detection currently in used in the X100. I may be reading too much into it, but it got me thinking the team saw room for improvement in that area...

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/fujifilm-finepix-x100-entrevista-hiroshi_kawahara,1_7074

Crossing my fingers for the low light AF performance!!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow