Started Jan 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
technology explosion or not..?
Jan 5, 2011

I don’t know about the rest of you folks but in reading through about ½ the threads on the demise of the Last Kodachrome processor in the US. It got me to thinking about how far photography is progressing in a short period of time. I shoot with a 60D but it doesn’t matter if you shoot the 2Ti, 7D and more so with the 5D II and up. The IQ and higher ISO IQ sometimes helped with IS. Is allowing us to take shots hand held and on a mono-pod without IS that are from 4 to 7 stops above what was possible just a few years ago. I’m looking at work shot in macro at 1000 ISO that if I pixel peep at 200% with default noise reduction from DPP. This work is equivalent or better than work done with 100 ISO slide film from 10 years ago.

On a T2i,60D,7D size sensor with the 80-200 F2.8 non IS L lens and a quality 1.4 extender, you are looking at a 448mm F4 equiv lens This is not a 500mm F4 lens but it’s close and at ¼ the price. With good craft and technique. What can one do..? What about the latest IS version..?

It doesn‘t matter if your subject is a pet or child. To get a photo at night with normal in home lighting without flash at 6400 ISO. That then captures the moment that is something that I have never experienced before. With some of the noise reduction software out there what are the limits..? The glass I shoot is fixed F stop non IS semi fast glass. If you have the bucks for it fast IS glass that can come close to 4 stops hand held improvement..!

You add all these things up and think about possible improvements in the not to distant future. You then look at improvements in photography in the last 200 years and one I think would have to say we are in the middle of a technology explosion..! What are your thoughts..? Some times we take this stuff for granted no..?

Foggy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow