Started Jan 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thephotobox
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
A few disagreements with D3100 review
Jan 5, 2011

I've had te D3100 for a couple months now and I have to say I have a few points of disagreement with the hands on review.

The FN button, (which may as well have been labeled ISO...) is, I feel, in the perfect position. If you're holding the lens correctly (cradling the lens) then it's right at your thumb. And when shooting in P mode, ISO is really the only thing I ever change. Another gripe DPREVIEW had was with the position of the info button. I think it's perfect! Since the camera does not have a sensor to turn off the screen when it's at eye level, I manually turn it off by hitting the info button when I raise the camera. I picked up the D7000, and it was in the back, forcing me to changed grip, where as the D3100 has it right beside the shutter release. Another advantage is the switch for continuous shooting. It's much quicker to access on the D3100, with one stiff switch that doesn't accidentally get knocked into the next mode. I can switch it with one finger. On the D7000, I have to press down a release button, and then rotate a wheel that's under another wheel. Not as easily accessible.

On the D3100, without changing shooting grip, I can toggle the display screen, switch to continous mode, switch between PSAM modes, turn on live view, record movies, change shutter speed/ aperture, change exposer value, change ISO, turn on the flash, turn on/off camera, and autofocus (access the AE-L/AF-L button).

On the D7000 I'd have to change grip to change ISO, change PSAM modes, toggle display on/off, and switch to continuous. Changing ISO and toggling the display is what I do most often.

For me, the only thing to be desired from the D7000 is higher fps in continuous and dual SD slots. (i like the idea of dual recording... a corrupt card is my worst nightmare). The RAW are also 14bit vs 12 bit, but I'm not sure how much that impacts me. But I know changing grip to access my most often accessed features sure does impact my workflow.

I DO however agree that the auto ISO feature is in need of improvement. Most obviously (to me) is to be able to override it manually. If I set the auto to peak at 1600, I can't, on a whim, boost it to 3200 or Hi to get something that I might miss. I have to go into the menu and disable auto ISO. The second fix I'd add is a second category of auto ISO. Have one for Flash and one without flash. This camera, when shooting flash, always tends to max out ISO. In non flash I'd set the ISO to max at 1600 with a min shutter of 125th (I don't a VR lens), but in flash I usually lean toward ISO400 or 800.

And that's all I have to say about that.... for now.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow