Started Jan 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660Gear list
Like?
Puzzled by NEX-5C eye-fi support
Jan 3, 2011

The NEX-5C (my version, and I assume C = "for the Chinese market" as I imported it from Hong Kong because the local Japanese models are crippled with Japanese-only menus), has an odd limitation. The NEX Eye-fi support has been removed from the menus.

I sent a query to Eye-fi themselves asking if the NEX-5C works with Eye-fi cards, but I received no reply from them.

I've had the chance to try an Eye-fi card in my NEX, and it seems to work. So I am puzzled. The menu items (on a proper NEX-5) for the Eye-fi allow you to control whether the card will transfer or not (and this will presumably affect battery life), and if enabled the camera will display icons showing the Eye-fi card's status.

So I am puzzled. Why on earth would Sony disable this functionality? The only conceivable reason I can think of for doing so would be for reasons of "national security" .. but the Eye-fi seems to work just fine in the camera, so whatever evil acts I had in mind for the camera can easily be committed, just with worse battery life and without the comfort of cute icons.

Does anyone have an explanation?

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow