ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
darkref
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?
Metering.
Jan 3, 2011

hi, beginner here

I thought I'd ask this in the nex forum as I don't know if the nex does it differently to any other cameras.

I've watched up to part 6 on the 7 part 'Perfect Exposure' tutorial on Vimeo that's been going round the forums but I'm still confused on what I'm supposed to do.

I take it that in most situations it's safe to use matrix metering, but sometimes the light can be a bit tricky, so then you change it to spot metering mode and look around the scene. Do you do this in AP mode or Manual mode? I'm a bit confused. If you do it in manual mode, and you set your middle tone to +0 and your appropriate highlights/shadows to + - 1 or 2 to get the correct exposure, but then when you actually take the photo, isn't the camera then metering off the middle because it's in spot mode, or does it not matter because you are in manual and the metering mode doesn't matter here? I'm a bit confused!

And if you do it in AP mode, once you have looked around the scene in spot metering to see how the camera would expose the different areas, (as it's changing the shutter speed) then change your aperture appropriately, when you recompose and take the photo, isn't the camera then just metering from the middle spot as you are in spot mode? And then it doesn't matter what you have just done as it's only taking into consideration the tiny circle in the middle?

Thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow