Inspire us with your fav quote

Started Dec 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
520man
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777
Like?
Re: one more
In reply to Deleted78792, Jan 3, 2011

Foxwizgsk wrote:

I think the small bird dropped dead because he tried to carry his Nikon D7000 and it was too heavy. He died of a massive heart attack.

He was probably out human-ing. If only he'd gone m43...did anybody get the images from his card?

AnuragP wrote:

Sorry, you are in a minority here Most of the humans consider themselves far superior to animals, let alone the thought of being counted among them. While we are at it, most humans consider themselves far superior to other humans, truth be told.

Maybe Genghis (Changez) is to blame (or praise) for starting it!

Seriously, though, both posts above are food for thought.
thanks,
AP

Wasn't it tool usage that was thought (at one time) to separate us from the rest? But nah, that isn't it. Otters use rocks to crack open shellfish while they float on their backs and some primates dig for termites with sticks IIRC.

Chipsthe1 wrote:

Provocative....We humans think that we alone among the animals have a sense of self.
Do we really know this?

It is a learned response I think. I ran a Childrens hospital for a couple of years and many of the kids were terminal cases. It never seemed to bother them and they would talk freely about it. Probably because they had not yet made aware that death is final. It was a very difficult thing for the parents, statistics at that time said 50% of the parents would end up divorced because they would start blaming each other for the fact the child was dying. A terrible thing to watch.

But the kids never showed fear, never seem to give death a care. The kids would show up in my office and chat with me about what was wrong with them and what the doctors were saying. I listened with great patience, what else can one do. I felt very sorry for the kids although there was not a thing I could do.

Fearing death is a more adult concept I think. Until you reach an advanced age and then you accept the fact that you are going to shuffle off this mortal coil. You do not necessarily look forward to the event but realize it is inevitable.

Yes, I wonder if it's a stage, like object permanence...the brain needs to develop to a certain point to understand.

Barrie Davis wrote:

Chipsthe1 wrote:

Provocative....We humans think that we alone among the animals have a sense of self.
Do we really know this?

Experiments have been done. We now know that dolphins, asian elephants, gorillas and magpies are self-aware.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14552-mirror-test-shows-magpies-arent-so-birdbrained.html
--
Regards,
Baz

Fascinating stuff, especially the assortment. Not all primates or any other easy category that I can see. I suppose the "stage" thing could apply to the above as well; juvenile dolphins, for instance, may not have acquired it.

We are blind to our own blindnesses, of course. Compare our sense of smell to that of a bloodhound, for instance, or imagine bats using echolocation...or some pigeons using magnetodetection for homing, pit vipers using IR vision to see prey in the dark, or sharks detecting prey that break their electromagnetic field. We recognize that some of us are visual learners, other auditory; given a sense like smell, which is weak, or senses we don't even have, how many intelligences might there be?

That Washoe experiment, I understand, was controversial. Some said Washoe was really using languages; others said it was more of a Clever Hans thing. Is it more of a chip type reaction or is there genuine thinking going on? IIRC she invented words like "candy fruit drink" when she didn't know the word for soda, and she seemed to teach her offspring some signs.

I remember reading in the ethology book that some researchers had moved a wasps nest a few feet after the wasps had left one day. When the wasps returned they couldn't find it. They knew exactly where it should be, not approximately. So they flew off and started another...more like a machine.

Far out stuff!
--
Gear listed in profile under "plan."

Someone stop me before I buy again, please!
Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LifeNew
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow