Have D40 and D3100, returning D3100

Started Dec 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Have D40 and D3100, returning D3100
In reply to whiggy, Jan 2, 2011

whiggy wrote:

However, after playing with the D3100 for a week I realized that for my needs (I rarely print) the picture quality would be improved only in low light situations and I already have a 35mm f/1.8 for that and a flash ordered and on its way. I also had reservations about some new "features". So I returned the D3100 because it did not do it for me .

There has been less improvement in image quality over the last four years than some people would have you believe, less improvement than the numbers (megapixels, dynamic range, SN ratio) would suggest. At the end of the day the D40 is still a perfectly useable dSLR, one that can go toe-to-toe with any other APS-C dSLR on the market - in terms of low ISO, straight-up image quality.

The D40 thru D3100 are functionally the same camera. Minor improvements and added features (video, live view,etc) are what sets them apart. High ISO is significantly cleaner. If push came to shove I'd agree that the D40 produces nicer images at low ISO, and that's why I continue to use one to this day.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow