Has anyone gone from 135mm f/2L to 100mm f/2.8L IS? Did you miss f/2?

Started Jan 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akin_t
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758
Like?
Has anyone gone from 135mm f/2L to 100mm f/2.8L IS? Did you miss f/2?
Jan 1, 2011

I'll admit, I bought lenses blindly based on what reviews said about their optical performance when I was starting out ... But now I've been shooting for a while and know my 'style' (so to speak) and what I enjoy shooting.

As a result, I have decided to change my 35mm f/1.4L for a 24mm f/1.4L II and change my 135mm f/2L for a 100mm f/2.8L IS. I already have my mind made up that the 24L II is a better match for me than the 35L ... What I am still in the air about is if the 100L can replace the 135L.

You see I have come to be fond of the 135L for candids, it is almost always at f/2 and I have no complaints about its performance whatsoever (I love the angle of view and don't feel it's too long for crop); unfortunately, I am not steady enough to handhold this lens below 1/80, and I would really like a lens that can deliver sharp pictures in good or bad light. That's the reason I am considering the 100L (it also helps that this lens can do 1:1 magnification)

I am not a macro shooter by any means, should I still replace the 135L with the 100L if I intend to use it for candids and portraiture?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow