Started Dec 31, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,836Gear list
Like?
Why I prefer an OVF to EVF in my camera
Dec 31, 2010

I have tried some of the new crop of EVF cameras and came away disappointed after looking at (not through), their electronic viewfinders. Something just wasn't right about them, and I know what it is.

The word photography literally means "To write with light" , and that is exactly where the electronic viewfinder (EVF) is at a disadvantage compared with an optical viewfinder (OVF). An EVF will only show you the content of your subject for composition, but the EVF will absolutely not show you the quality of the light present in the scene like an OVF can. And that makes all the difference to my style of photography. The EVF may be fine for some, but it will just not do it for me.

At some point I may buy a camera with an EVF for casual or travel photography, but I need an optical viewfinder to fuel my passion for my craft of "writing with light".

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow