How big a hard drive for scratch disk and ACR cache?

Started Dec 31, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Crabby Guy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418
Like?
How big a hard drive for scratch disk and ACR cache?
Dec 31, 2010

I've been keeping an old and small (74GB) Raptor drive to speed up my photo software. I put it in my PC a few months ago and I discovered that:

1. Going from 1GB (default) to 74GB on LR 3's cache makes a significant difference. Whether a 10K RPM Raptor matters vs. a 7200 RPM drive I don't know.

2. Even on PSE 9, I see only a moderate speed up using this HDD as the primary scratch drive and another drive (it has neither the system / program drive nor the paging file on it) as the secondary scratch drive. I don't know if the small increase in speed is because of the Raptor's higher spin rate, just having the scratch file split between two physical disks, or a larger total scratch file. (This is a P45 mobo with an E8500 duo core running at 4GHz and 8GB of RAM.)

How big should PS scratch files be? I'll soon be moving my backup drive to an ESATA cage and I'll have room for another internal drive. If I spent $40 on eBay for another 74GB Raptor, should it be run as a separate drive or in a RAID 0 with the one I have?

Adrian

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow