Started Dec 31, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PLShutterbug
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Pro9000 MkII feed problems
Dec 31, 2010

A bit unusual, maybe and not strictly photo-related ... my apologies in advance for the long post.

I'm using my new Canon to print orchestra parts on a heavyweight paper at 12x18" (I bought it primarily for photography but this was the project that finally gave me the excuse I needed to buy it). After 600 sheets fed through, double-sided, running only black ink (I'm printing B&W .PDF files and using the monochrome setting in the driver) and running through two Canon cartridges, two Office Depot refills and now one Costco refill, my printer is consistently misfeeding, giving me error numbers 5100 or 6000. It "eats" the leading edge of the sheet on the side closest to the printer buttons. I did not get a single misfeed until I started using the Costco-refilled carts.

As I've printed I notice that all of my color cartridges are depleting - I assume because they run through their cleaning cycle even though I'm not printing in color. All of the color carts are now less than 50%. The absorbent pads are very dirty and there is ink on the printer parts surrounding them.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else seen similar issues after a large printing project involving paper rather than photo paper? How did you resolve it?

2. Is it possible to clean the feed rollers and other feed mechanisms - assuming that may be the problem (I suspect it may be - after that many sheets I'm sure there is fuzz in there)? If so, can you point me somewhere that shows how?

3. Is it possible to open up the right side of the printer to more easily get at the absorbent pads and that area, to clean it?

4. Is it possible to prevent the printer from running its cleaning cycle on the color cartridges? I figure I'm going to have to replace all of my cartridges by the time this project is finished (it's almost done, thankfully) - and I've only made about three 8x10 color prints!

5. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow