Started Dec 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,638Gear list
Like?
The OlympusE-PL2 - the importance of social engagement
Dec 30, 2010

The very credible looking rumour of the E-PL2 seems to have passed un-noticed on the DSLR forum which perhaps isn't too much of a surprise. Like a lot of the stuff from Olympus at the moment, it looks more than a little boring (guess what sensor it is rumoured to use) and yet if the rumour is true, it has a little feature that might just be every bit as big as live view, IBIS and patent protected dust reduction that actually works. Like those features, I suspect many (even here) will scoff at it initially......

The feature is rumoured to be built in links to social networks and photo sharing sites via a Bluethooth module that fits in the hot shoe. The exact form of this is unknown but if Olympus gets it right, I expect it to be highly derided, slammed as nothing more than a toy in DPR's own review of it and then be copied by the competition and treated as a "must have" feature in future reviews.

Doubtless it will be consumery at first but with image sharing web sites already adopting online editing applications, I think for casual JPEG shooting (or time critical applications like journalism), we'll eventually see the photo go straight from the camera to Flickr/Smugmug/Pbase (via a Smartphone and perhaps with a quick preset for a little contrast and saturation in some future version of Picnic).

Oh, and if you're not excited by all this social engagement stuff, perhaps the thought of a cheap as chips camera with the E-5's imaging might appeal?

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow