Started Dec 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dee7tee
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Help! Optical drives disappear after Ghost 15 install on vista 64
Dec 30, 2010

I installed Ghost 15 using default settings and after the forced reboot during the install, it ran Live Update but failed to install the available update. A pop up warning appeared that a fatal installation error (not sure of exact wording) had occurred.

I tried to uninstall Ghost using window's control panel but got the warning: File 'C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Norton Ghost\Agent\SpnRegister.dll' can not be found. make sure the file is on target system or installed already" "ERROR: Failed to have success running Uninstall Driver Function in MSIUninstallDriver Function"

I then tried using the installation disc for Ghost to see if I could uninstall the program that way but now the cd/dvd drive was no longer visible, & device manager shows it with a yellow exclamation mark (code 19). I tried using device manager's update driver and uninstall device but still get the "Could not load driver" error.

To rule out hardware failure for of the internal optical drive, I connected an external USB Cd/Dvd drive, but this was not recognized by windows either & got the same code 19 error in device manager.

No success in running system restore either, got message: "System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files & settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during system restore"

Except for the missing optical drives, the computer seem to be running fine and everything else seems to be working as before.

Any help in getting my optical drives back & uninstalling Ghost would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paula

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow