Damned Old FZ18

Started Dec 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Damned Old FZ18

If I'd taken the time and trouble of driving 140 miles to handle the FZ18 before buying, I'd never have bought it. It looks like a toy, feels like a toy, and weighs like a toy. Something inside me wants to cringe each time I pick it up.

So, having bought sight-unseen three years ago, what's it still doing here? It's hung around through three Nikon DSLRs. Today I tested it against my brand-new Pentax k-x to see which one to keep; you know, poor light, glaring sun, snow, close-ups, shadows, shot-to-shot speed, continuous speed, white-balancem everything I had available and could think of.

Can you guess which cam took a trip to UPS at the end of the day? Right: not the FZ18. I'm beginning to the thing's gonna outlast me. One thing I'm not going to allow it to do is outlast yet another DSLR. Yes, I loved my film SLRs, but that era's over, and now so is that deep-seated yearning to recapture those wonderful times with a digital version.

Not sure what to do with that new-camera lust and the refund money from the Pentax return. Seems like neither Panny nor Fuji has exactly hit a home run with their newest superzooms. But like every year in this decade, I know one or the other will build the 'next great thing.' (If it's Panny, I hope they'll have the grace to house it in a truly fitting body.)

But one thing's for sure: it better be able whip that gracefully aging FZ18 in any, and every, meaningful way. Isn't that right, old pal?

-- hide signature --

Tim, FZ18, F20

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow