Started Dec 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,874
Like?
Damned Old FZ18
Dec 30, 2010

If I'd taken the time and trouble of driving 140 miles to handle the FZ18 before buying, I'd never have bought it. It looks like a toy, feels like a toy, and weighs like a toy. Something inside me wants to cringe each time I pick it up.

So, having bought sight-unseen three years ago, what's it still doing here? It's hung around through three Nikon DSLRs. Today I tested it against my brand-new Pentax k-x to see which one to keep; you know, poor light, glaring sun, snow, close-ups, shadows, shot-to-shot speed, continuous speed, white-balancem everything I had available and could think of.

Can you guess which cam took a trip to UPS at the end of the day? Right: not the FZ18. I'm beginning to the thing's gonna outlast me. One thing I'm not going to allow it to do is outlast yet another DSLR. Yes, I loved my film SLRs, but that era's over, and now so is that deep-seated yearning to recapture those wonderful times with a digital version.

Not sure what to do with that new-camera lust and the refund money from the Pentax return. Seems like neither Panny nor Fuji has exactly hit a home run with their newest superzooms. But like every year in this decade, I know one or the other will build the 'next great thing.' (If it's Panny, I hope they'll have the grace to house it in a truly fitting body.)

But one thing's for sure: it better be able whip that gracefully aging FZ18 in any, and every, meaningful way. Isn't that right, old pal?

-- hide signature --

Tim, FZ18, F20

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow