Started Dec 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LWilson
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Differences between SD1400 and SX210?
Dec 28, 2010

I bought both an SD1400 and an SX210 during a Boxing Day sale. I need to return one (I couldn't decide at the time so bought both). I've been reading reviews all day long trying to figure out which one I should keep. Is the only major difference the zoom length?

I have a DSLR, and have a pretty decent understanding of manual controls and such. So if I need really good pictures I will always grab that first and foremost. But I have two young children (one of whom I still wear in a carrier a lot, so it's hard to also carry around my big SLR) and want a camera that can take good video, that I can bring along with me on walks and such to take pictures of the kids. I can't decide if all else is equal, if the zoom is worth the extra $100. I would like to be able to snap pictures of animals we see when we're out walking and take shots of the kids when they're playing away from me, but I've been so underwhelmed by the quality of zoomed shots on past p&s cameras I wonder if I'd even use it.

Are they both around the same quality inside in low light?

For what it's worth, I paid $130Cdn for the 1400 (regularly $250) and $230Cdn for the sx210 (regularly $330). Other cameras aren't really an option, because the sales are over and the SX210 was already a big stretch for our budget at $230 (we just bought a house, so our budget is very low right now). If I had the money, I know the S90 and G11 and S4000 might be better choices, but I didn't find any of those on sale, and they likely would still have been out of the budget.

Thanks!

ETA: Thought I should add, mostly the shots from a p&s would just end up on Facebook or emailed to family, or printed out around 4x6 for scrapbooks. The largest I'd ever likely blow one up is 8x10. So the quality doesn't have to be outstanding, but I do want it to be sharp at those sizes.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow