Started Dec 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
7D or D700 for Sports and Wildlife?
Dec 27, 2010

Which of the following two kits would be best for sports and wildlife photography? The sports I want to shoot are hockey, swimming, volleyball, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, and softball. I wish I lived in a more remote area to get closer to some real wildlife but the animals that are within driving distance to me are bald eagles, hawks, herons, beavers, otters, deer (okay, maybe deer aren't “wildlife” since they are everywhere) and an occasional bear (maybe).

I know this might not be a fair comparison due to the fact that the D700 shares the same sensor as the D3 (and I’m also comparing a FF body to a crop body) but these are the two cameras I’ve narrowed it down to. I looked at the 5DM2 but the burst rate and antiquated focusing system won’t cut it for sports in my opinion.

I’m happy with 5 FPS from the D700 vs. 8 FPS from the 7D but my biggest worry is that I’ll miss the extra reach that the crop sensor on the 7D will give me. Putting the lenses below on a 7D would give me a reach of 80mm, 320mm, and 640mm which would be great for sports and wildlife. However, the IQ of the D700 sensor will probably more than make up for that (I think). Plus, I can always put a teleconverter on the D700 and have a reach of 270mm, and 450mm on the two Nikkor telephotos below.

I’m happy with the 12 MP of the D700 and will only be making small prints (8X10 or maybe one size larger) and looking at the images on a 1900X1200 24” monitor. But, again, my biggest worry is the D700 won’t give me enough reach for some of the sports I want to shoot. I think I’d be fine for everything except soccer but I’m not sure. I’d have to think that 300mm on a soccer field (if you’re on the sideline and not in the stands) would be sufficient.

Anyway, I’d really appreciate any advice you could provide. I posted this in the D700 forum and didn't get a lot of feedback. I think I've become brainwashed into thinking that anything other than FF is not going to be acceptable and I know that's not really accurate! I see tons of 7D photos that look great to me.

Canon 7D
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens
Canon 200mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens
Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM Autofocus Lens

Nikon D700
AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Lens
AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED
AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Autofocus Lens

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Heh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow