Started Dec 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chester0711
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
D300s, D700, or wait for D400?
Dec 27, 2010

The bulk of may shooting is chasing little ones (Kids, Dogs, etc....) around and some landscape when I want a change of pace. Portrait photography is my next endeavor (I have made some effort at this in the past but nothing substantial)

Current body is D200.

The lenses I shoot with mostly are my 50mm 1.8, Nikon 18-200mm VR , and a Sigma Wide angle 10-20 EX for landscape and such.

I currently got a chance to try a D300s and I felt like a new man! Compared to the D200 the IQ was not so much the difference.....it was the actual performance of the camera (AF, burst, etc)

My question.......

I am definitely in the market for a new body and some new glass. I want to upgrade to a nice lens for shooting the kids and animals (I actually get a lot of requests from friends and such...all willing to pay money, which I don't accept up to this point as I don't consider myself a pro and they are friends) ......I currently use the 50mm but tend to get Lazy and use the 18-200.

I also have a few friends who have inquired about shooting their band while performing (indoors, low light , bar room stuff with a small stage)

Which body and glass should I look at .........want to spend in the area of $2000 on the body and another $1500 max on the lens or lenses. Will definitely take ideas a little over this budget.

The D300s make me nervous due to the reviews on low light (I do shoot indoors some and outdoors in low light situations) am I making too much of this?

The D700 is my big question mark as I would be revamping my whole kit.....not too mention spending a bit more.

The D7000 might be a thought but it is so small in my hands and somewhat ergonomically uncomfortable.

Thoughts? Help me shop!

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow