Started Dec 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trigger
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
5D RAW vs 5Dm2 RAW Noise
Dec 26, 2010

I could use some help here. I have been a 5D shooter for several years. I took a number of photos this christmas (primarily with the 85mm 1.8) and I found myself pleased with many of them, but alas, somewhat disappointed at the results once I hit ISO 800 and above. I have always found this ISO range to have a bit too much noise for my taste. The images are far from horrendous and ultimately usable, but they are not as clean as I would like them to be.

The above brings me back to a problem I have had over the last couple weeks. I have been trying to research the 5Dm2 as a possible upgrade. In doing so I have hit several sites and checked their reviews on the newer rig. The problem I have is that I can't find many RAW comparisons at higher ISO's. I consistently hear that the 5Dm2 is 1 to 2 stops greater than the original 5D, but it seems to be that people are referring to jpg output. As this result would seem to be a reflection of greater noise reduction in the 5Dm2 jpgs than the 5D, it is not valid for me (I only shoot RAW). Am I understanding these reviews correct? Is it jpg's they are comparing? If so, I would love to hear feedback from users of both the 5D and the 5Dm2 regarding noise in RAW files.

I am not concerned with "per pixel" noise as ultimately it is only a fair comparison if each file is printed at the same physical size. Instead, just the overall noise in the given image. I am hopeful that the 5Dm2 truly has a RAW ISO advantage of a stop or (make my dreams come true) two, but it seems that whenever I read this, people are referring to jpg.

I apologize for the rather long post, just wanted to make sure I was clear regarding my problem and what information I am looking for to resolve it. I would appreciate input anyone would like to share.

Thank you for your time.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow