Birthday present..... New lens or camera???

Started Dec 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
dtuason
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,410Gear list
Like?
Re: Birthday present..... New lens or camera???
In reply to Kim van Heuven, Dec 24, 2010

Kim van Heuven wrote:

Dear all,

It's my birthday tomorrow and I want to treat myself on a new piece of camera gear.

Currently having an old 20D, canon 17-40L, canon 100-400L and Sigma 150mm Macro lens.

I've been thinking for quite some time about upgrading my camera, yes I also been scratching my head about the 7D or 5d MKII :). Nevertheless the 5d has been on the market for over 2 years now so I a bit reluctant to buy it at this point. And I still make great pictures with the 20D.

So I in debate now if I should go for the 5dMKII or wait for it, for 6 months or so until the new model comes out and buy a new piece of glass now.

Although a bit more "advanced" lens, I love the pictures made with the Canon 85mm f1.2 II. Although it's not as versatile as the 70-200 2.8 IS II everyone seems to find it as exceptional lens. I do have a 2 years old. Would the 85mm be fast enough to take pictures of her?

If you were in my shoes, would would you buy and why? The 5d Mark II, the 85mm f1.2 (and buy the 5d MKIII whenever it comes out) or something else eg. 70-200 2.8 IS II?

If I were you I'd get a

7D and a 35L...fast focusing...great for low light (and no flash)...

7D - 19 cross type AF points...

now...if Canon releases a 5D3 with the 7D AF, well go for that instead...

I doubt that Canon is going to do that...

why do I say that?

because if Canon releases a 5D3 with the 7D AF, it's going to hurt the 1Ds series sales...

I have a 1Ds3 and a 7D...yes the 1Ds3 AF is better than the 7D AF...but it's damn close...well to me it is...

If Canon releases a 5D3 with the 7D AF...and price it similar to the 5D2...or maybe 500 dollars more...then I won't be thinking about a 1Ds series upgrade any longer...

Cheers!

Danny Tuason

PS Regarding the 85 II L...it's an excellent lens...I love it...but it has relatively slower focusing compared to some other lenses...like the 135L...

Appreciate your feedback

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/dtuason

When people lose everything and they have nothing left to lose, they lose it.

~ Gerald Celente

It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

~ Henry Ford

dtuason's gear list:dtuason's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow