Birthday present..... New lens or camera???

Started Dec 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kim van Heuven
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Birthday present..... New lens or camera???
Dec 24, 2010

Dear all,

It's my birthday tomorrow and I want to treat myself on a new piece of camera gear.

Currently having an old 20D, canon 17-40L, canon 100-400L and Sigma 150mm Macro lens.

I've been thinking for quite some time about upgrading my camera, yes I also been scratching my head about the 7D or 5d MKII :). Nevertheless the 5d has been on the market for over 2 years now so I a bit reluctant to buy it at this point. And I still make great pictures with the 20D.

So I in debate now if I should go for the 5dMKII or wait for it, for 6 months or so until the new model comes out and buy a new piece of glass now.

Although a bit more "advanced" lens, I love the pictures made with the Canon 85mm f1.2 II. Although it's not as versatile as the 70-200 2.8 IS II everyone seems to find it as exceptional lens. I do have a 2 years old. Would the 85mm be fast enough to take pictures of her?

If you were in my shoes, would would you buy and why? The 5d Mark II, the 85mm f1.2 (and buy the 5d MKIII whenever it comes out) or something else eg. 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Appreciate your feedback

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow