Started Dec 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Ninjalectual
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
An ALL PRIME bag?
Dec 23, 2010

I shoot with a crop-sensor (20D), and after years of trial and error I have settled on the cheapest combination of lenses that do the trick for me. I have a 10-22mm for wide angle, a 28-135mm for tele, and a 50mm f1.8 for low light.

Recently I've found myself wondering how much differently I might see the world (and photograph it) with a bag of nothing but fast primes. I could sell or trade the lenses I have now in order to get a 28mm f1.8 (or 35mm f2), upgrade my 50mm to an f1.4, and get an 85mm f1.8 (or 100mm f2).

I know that in the recent past, zoom lenses didn't have the quality professionals needed, so their only option was to shoot with primes. Looking back at some of my favorite photographers like Robert Capa, their compositions often look like they didn't have the option to zoom, which forced them to do the best they could with what they had, and often the results are sometimes better than a zoomed image might have been. Am I just thinking crazy thoughts here, that trading my zooms for a collection of primes might make me a better photographer? It's not like I'm using a kit zoom here, my zooms are pretty sharp.

Has anyone else had this thought, or better yet, actually done something like this?

-- hide signature --

I've never thought of photography as 'finding beauty in the things that go unnoticed,' although that's a worthy philosophy too. My goal has been to find those moments where people would say, 'oh, you shouldn't bother trying to get that on film, it's a moment that just has to be experienced.' Those moments are the ones I strive to capture most.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow