Started Dec 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Have D40 and D3100, returning D3100
Dec 23, 2010

Just got a new D3100 to replace my D40 and after trying it out for a couple of days I think I am going to return the D3100. It's a great camera...if you do not already have a DSLR. As a replacement for a D40 for me it's not worth the $200 that it would cost after selling the D40.

Pros:

• High ISO is better than D40 (above 1600)

• The resolution is better because of the increase in pixel count

• LCD is bigger and image review scrolling is faster

• Grip is better

• I really do not care about video but it has it

Cons:

• Colors are not as good as D40 (to my eyes) even after playing with different picture controls

• AF speed is about the same and to use the benefit of 11 focus points the AF area would have to be set on Auto (which is not an option for me, as I want to be in charge when it comes to focus)

• The 18-55 VR lens feels cheaper and the zoom ring is stiffer than 18-55 non-VR

• Fill flash is not as effective as D40

• RAW files are 12-14 MB vs. 5-6 MB with D40. My dual-processor computer hates me.

I am really trying to make myself like the D3100 but just cannot find anything that would justify replacing my D40 with it.

Am I missing something? Am I crazy? Can anyone that's been in a similar situation share their thoughts and experience? Thanks.

whiggy's gear list:whiggy's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow