ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Amy Ballew
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Need better low-light performance
Dec 23, 2010

Problem statement:

We are amateur photographers, strictly hobby only. We have a Canon 20D from circa 2005. The 20D has served us well and still appears to work like a champ, especially for pictures outdoors in daylight. I adore the speed of the camera, which is critical for capturing our 4 young kids, who are uninterested in remaining still.

HOWEVER, I find that there are many moments when I want to take pictures in lower light, and our 20D with our current portrait lens (a middle of the road Tamron) is just not getting the job done. I have a flash, but it is foot mounted, and I am not a good enough photographer to get good pics with it.

Thus, my question:

What should I focus on upgrading? Should I invest in a newer camera body that will have better low-light performance? Or should I invest in a higher-quality lens? Where is the most significant bang for my buck? I would consider going outside Canon, but my first choice would be to stay with it as we have a L series Canon telephoto lens.

Sorry for such a general question, I was just hoping that I could get a few ideas on what to research as options.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow