Dire Warning To Photographers !!!

Started Dec 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,711
Like?
Re: Keep some eggs in separate baskets
In reply to Cy Cheze, Dec 23, 2010

Great advice, but most airlines restrict luggage and you only have one check in bag.
jules

Cy Cheze wrote:

Don't put all gear or work in any single place. It's OK to check-in bulky accessories as luggage for the plane's hold, since it is hard for thieves to conceal or "fence," and you probably can't carry it on-board anyway.

To put all work on a single 64GB card is not a good idea either. I would not even put all cards in a single pocket or wallet. They are too easy to lose and a mistake or failure could entail loss of too much.

I've never lost a card in my life. if you make a living from what's on your card, you look after it.

Thieves are everywhere, not just in baggage handling. Owners everywhere are also absent-minded, over-trusting, or occasionally enebriated. You put a bag under the table or seat and ... guess what?

There is also something to be said for investing only in cheap devices or insuring the expensive ones. I can lose or drop a $400 camera and get over my tears soon enough. Loss of a $200 one justifies only a good shout of "O.S.!" But I'd not want to imagine losing $3k or more worth of equipment in a single fumble or mishap.

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow