ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
a dot in the photo
Dec 22, 2010

Hey everyone,

I've recently found that the photos taken with my camera come out with a dot near the edge of the photo. It's my first time encountering such a problem so some advice would be helpful

Canon 500D with 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

from the viewfinder, I see two very small dots on the upper left quadrant close to the upper edge and nothing else. After taking photos, I see a very significant dot, but seems to be in a different position (i.e. a dot which I couldn't see in the viewfinder?). Is this because of the cropping of the viewfinder or some other reason?

I've tried detatching the body/lense to give it a pump of air but it hasn't solved the problem. I can't really see anything on the mirror of the body, and i suspect i might see a white spec inside the lense (towards the camera-side of the lense). (sorry for lack of proper vocab..). The camera is usually kept in a bag, and was in the bag for the past while (week or so) before this came up.

Here are two photos with different aperture sizes showing the significant dot on the right:

I've checked with Canon regarding their servicing.. and to clean the lense will cost 1/5 of the lense price =/ i'm just not sure whether it's the fault of the lense and whether there's a way around this.

warrant ends mid January 2012.

thanks in advance for any opinion

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow